Friday 3 October 2014

Why Film?

Folks, let me state from the very beginning, I don’t want to start any debates film vs digital, everything below is just my opinion. 

Any modern digital camera can easily out resolve the film, and a full frame (135mm) camera, like Nikon D810 paired with superb  Zeiss Otus, will beat the cr* out of any medium format or even large format film cameras. Obviously a great shooting discipline and post processing skills are required to pull out the best from the modern sensors. Digital cameras are also fast, provide instant feedback and the number of photos one can take is only limited by the size of storage, and storage is reusable. With many filters available (DxO, Nik, Topaz, etc etc etc) you can simulate the film “look” with few extra clicks. Why bother with real film?

Hasselblad 500 C/M, CF Distagon 50/4 T*, Kodak 400TX
Long time ago I realized that my pursuit for more details, more accurate colours, low noise or better dynamic range is pointless because it is not what always makes a great photo.

I shoot film differently. Film slows me down. May be because subconsciously I am aware that each frame cost me money and I can’t instantly validate what was just shot. If I missed I missed.
Hasselblad 500 C/M, C Planar 80/2.8 T*, Kodak 400TX
If I chose the wrong exposure, didn’t focus on the right object, didn’t level the horizon it’s over. But first I have to go back home and develop film and only then to see my mistakes 

With film I am spending way more time thinking about composition, light and textures. But surprisingly the keeper rate is also higher. Film makes me a better photographer regardless of other media I am using.
Hasselblad 500 C/M, C Planar 80/2.8 T*, Kodak 400TX
And last but not least, I just love to shoot with old all mechanical cameras :)

All the best,
vkphoto


3 comments:

  1. Very cool! Did you develop the film yourself? Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of your points, but your last point really resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. And yes, I develop B&W film myself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.